Wednesday 11 June 2003

Get Your Motor Runnin'...

Key West to Detroit

Well, I've been over here in the States for two weeks now and am enjoying a heady mixture of heatwaves in the South, thunderstorms in the middle and pretty coolish Scottish summer weather in the North. This in turn is complemented with excellent breakfast buffets in the South, fine sports bar dining in the middle and multiple beer and pizza in the North!

Started off by visiting an old friend, Robin and his family in Key West, Florida. It's a very warm and laid back place (so I fitted right in!) and the sea temperature was so hot that I considered expanding my morning three mile swim to five or six miles! It's a very unique experience driving 100 miles over bridges and thin strips of road to get there and it genuinely feels like the end of the world when you arrive. Stayed there from Thursday through to Monday and enjoyed some bike riding and kayaking with the family as well as making the intimate acquaintance of most of the mosquito population. They can spot the fresh, white meat a mile off!

On the Monday, I drove north to Orlando to drop off my rental (hire) car and picked up a minivan that needed to be delivered to Detroit. I'd found a company on the internet that move vehicles around the States for people who have moved house or jobs and they 'hire' tourists to do the driving so they can see more of the country. I don't get paid for doing it but I only need to pay for the gas (petrol) which is dirt cheap compared to home. Stayed in Orlando on the Monday night and then headed to Detroit on the Tuesday morning, after a mighty helping of pancakes, eggs, sausage, hash browns, coffee, orange juice, wheat toast and a muffin to go!

Driving on the interstates (motorways) in America is a pretty boring experience when the land is flat and featureless. However, once I crossed the state line into Georgia, I turned off and drove through some lovely "Gone With The Wind" country to reach a little college town, Athens. As you know, this is the home of top rock & pop combo REM and I was genuinely amazed not to run into them! The town itself though was lovely, very warm and laid back so guess what, I fitted right in!

Going to Athens, meant that on the Wednesday, I could head north through North Carolina by way of Great Smokey Mountain National Park. For you stat lovers, this is the most visited national park in America with some six million visitors a year. It crosses the Appalachian Mountains and the views from the peaks were breathtaking. The mountains cross into Tennessee and after visiting this state's highest point (6,660 feet, stat lovers), this was quickly followed by what must be its lowest depth on the other side - DOLLYWOOD! Not one, but two theme parks devoted to the worship of country music's finest(!?!) and surrounded by the tackiest strip of motels, eating places and cheesy musical theatres I've ever seen.

I'd planned to stay in Tennessee that night but couldn't get out of the state quick enough. "Let's go to Kentucky instead," I thought, "That'll be nicer!" In truth, the countryside was fine but I felt quite inadequate without any dungarees and a pick up truck containing a scruffy dog and a shotgun. Luckily, I found a motel, double locked my door and avoided any late night banjo-duellin’!

Slipped out of Kentucky early on Thursday morning and headed for Columbus, Ohio. This is another smart looking college town and home of Jack Nicklaus (greatest golfer ever) whose museum I visited on Friday morning. Arrived in Detroit on Friday afternoon, delivered the minivan and met up with a golfing friend, Bob who used to work with my brother Keith. Played three rounds of golf at the weekend, did absolutely nothing on Monday except sleep and visited the Henry Ford museum yesterday, primarily to stare gruesomely at the car in which JFK was shot! Found a bullet lying underneath! More golf today (40 holes!)

So, so far so good although I've no idea yet what my next move will be. Will probably go to Chicago next but then again.... maybe not! Anyway, drop me a line with any news if you get a chance and I'll send more tales from the road soon.

Have a real nice day now!

Love, Neil x

No comments: